Sunday, January 07, 2007

Amelie

"Amelie" was last week's 'DVD of the Week' and has become one of my favorite films. Is was released in 2001 and directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Jeunet is a self-taught director and some of his other, notable films are "Delicatessen", "Alien: Resurrection" and "City of Lost Children" (another of my favorites). All of his films have distinct imagery and attention to detail. I enjoy 'looking at' his films as much as I like watching them. Audrey Tautou ("The Da Vinci Code") stars as Amelie, and I was throughly taken in by her portrayal.

The movie is about a shy coffee shop waitress who, after making a surprise discovery in her apartment, does something nice anonymously for a complete stranger. She feels so good after doing the good deed that she dedicates her life to making other people happy (in very inventive and amusing ways). The big question is if she will take the chance to possibly bring about her own happiness.

I hate the term 'feel good movie' but, I must admit, I always feel pretty damned good during and after this movie. I'm not saying that you will - but you'll never know if you don't give it a shot.

By the way, this is a French film and it is subtitled. Just so you know. Full disclosure and all.

No comments: