Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Coming Up For Air

I was glad to read that James Cameron has finally decided to make a new movie. It's been almost ten years since the heart-wrenching surprise-ending (yes, it sinks) 12-year-old girl tear fest, "Titanic" was 'king of the world.'

Apparently, he's decided to climb out of the water, go back to his roots and make a science-fiction film. I was always convinced that the guy who made "Aliens", "The Abyss" and the "Terminator" movies still had some sci-fi inspiration 'floating' around. I just hope he doesn't go all the way back to "Piranha Part Two: The Spawning" for his directorial inspiration.

The scope of the story, the new filming techniques and 3D aspect of "Avatar" sound very intriguing but , I will admit, I was kind of hoping he would go for more "Titanic" money with a sequel. I was thinking something along the lines of, "Beyond the Titanic Adventure: The Revenge" starring Michael Caine (If you don't get the 'Poseidon' and 'Jaws' reference - please go here and here) or maybe tell a new Titanic story from some other people's perspectives. That way, most of the effects shots could be reused and the movie wouldn't cost nearly as much to make. Jim Cameron could make even more money and I could capitalize on a breakfast cereal deal. I'm thinking little ships, broken in half, that float, at first, and then sink to the bottom while smaller debris remain on the surface. Oh, and marshmallow icebergs.

No comments: