Monday, January 29, 2007

A Bright Idea

Just a quick thought.

I'm not sure how much you may know of Thomas Edison and the image that he so carefully crafted, thought by some to be his greatest invention, but know this: He did not invent the light bulb, he had a team of as many as two hundred who 'invented' for him and he only looked at inventions that he thought would bring him fame and make lots and lots of money. He did all of this while trying to convince the public that he was a lonely, work-through-the-night inventor who only wanted to benefit mankind.

I only mentioned Edison because I saw that the new Windows operating system, Vista, goes on sale tonight at midnight. Maybe it's just me, but these operating systems seem kind of odd. A new one comes out, problems are found, updates are downloaded, more problems are found, fixes are downloaded, vulnerabilities are found, patches are downloaded, even more problems are found, my hard drive is erased, more updates, friends are getting emails from me that I'm not sending, more fixes, my credit card bill has charges from Mozambique, even more patches and then, before the damn thing is even working as it should have been in the first place, out comes a brand new operating system so we can start all over, again!

You know, I will give Edison one piece of credit: At least his light bulb actually worked when you flipped the switch.

No comments: