Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Stupid is as Stupid Does

1st day back at work, 2nd day of the new year and only 356 shopping days until Christmas. Life may be a cabaret but mine has an 'early-bird' special and the entertainment is a Lawrence Welk tribute band. Ah well, on with the show.

I've been on the phone a lot today, and it's helped me come to the conclusion that a really good goal for myself, for the new year and ever-after, would be to try my darnedest to not be so bloomin' stupid. I like to think that I'm an average guy of average intelligence; nothin' special. I also tend to believe that the people I talk to on a daily basis are average people. However, if that's true and they are average people, then the average person is a dumb-ass. Which, by default, would include me (being average and all). Well, I'm sure you can see my dilemma (unless you're an average person, of course). See, there's no end to it! So, again, I've decided to do my p
art and, hopefully, create a 'ripple effect' among the average people that I encounter.

I plan to start small. For example, I'll trust the 'wet paint' sign - no need to touch, when
someone walks into the office dripping wet, I won't say, "Is it raining?" I'll just wait for the explanation and when I'm talking on the phone I won't use my hands to describe things as in (holding my free hand out), "It's about this tall". I firmly believe that with a little effort I (along with others) can make a vast improvement on the average person's perceived stupidity. Now, if I could just figure out where to put the stamp on this stupid envelope.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I am a call centre manager and when I'm on the phone I just can't help using my hands. My co-workers mock me, but I'm used to it. Perhaps it has something to do with trying to reach out and make a connection with the person on the other end of the phone?