Monday, January 15, 2007

A Room with a View-Master

This past weekend was a little different than most. I saw a couple of good movies, which I have written about, made a little progress in my current book, cleaned house, washed clothes and, finally, spent every other available second completely consumed with a Playstation 3 that I purchased Friday afternoon. Now, for the people who read this blog (and I'm talking to both of you), I'm not one of those people who feel the need to pick sides in a fight between PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii. I bought a PS3 because of my PS2 games and I really would like to have an Xbox 360, but that will have to come later. I like all sides but, for now, I have a PS3.

So, anyway, I spent the weekend with my PS3 and, honestly, this thing rocks! I listened to Super Audio CDs, I watched a Blu Ray movie that was as sharp and clear as Discovery HD Theater and I played a video game with graphics so amazing that I kept getting killed because I was too busy looking around at the environment. Yes, I was very pleased with my purchase.

But that's not my point. During the time that I was enjoying the PS3, I couldn't help but think of some of my favorite 'toys' from the past, and while there's always fond memories for things like 'Operation' and 'Rock em Sock em Robots', the one thing that kept coming to mind was my old 'Talking View-Master'. I must have had that thing for years and never got any more reels than the ones that originally came with it and, yet, I never grew tired of it. I knew every photo that I would see and could recite, word for word, the accompanying narration. What a great item - it's funny how some of the seemingly simplest of things can instill such vivid and lasting memories.

That's all, for now. I'm off to enjoy the PS3 - as long as I can remember how to turn it on.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thank you for posting a link to Seattle Daily Photo in True As Turnips. I noticed this when one of your visitors linked to my site. Currently it is snowing here (again. . .sigh), so to "visit" someone from Florida's blog today is a warm treat.

I enjoyed your writing. This piece about the talking ViewMaster is fun. It reminds me that the ViewMaster expierience is similar to the experience of viewing the different City Daily Photo blogs around the globe, of which SDP is just one of over 140 such views on world cities. Nice to visit your window on the world today,
-Kim